Moving home can be a very stressful time. Packing up your belongings and praying that they make it to your new abode safely is a little daunting. It can however be a very exciting time, it is a new chapter and a time to make new memories. To help you tackle your troubles and ease your fears below is our top tips for a stress-free move.
1. Put together a checklist. Not everything in your old house or office will fit perfectly in your new space so make sure you weed out things you no longer need prior to moving. Take advantage of any local markets or auctions taking place and make a little extra money for new items.
2. Plan your move ahead of time. Moving can get the pulse racing so make sure you plan ahead. If you are attempting to move all of your goods yourself make sure you consider the vehicle required and enlist some help from friends. Hiring a professional removals company is highly recommended. By allowing an experienced company to do the heavy lifting you can ensure that everything will make it to your destination in one piece.
3. Choose a removals company with a good reputation. Trusting a company with your belonging can be a little worrisome so do your research by reading online reviews or speaking with friends or colleagues for recommendations.
4. Start packing up the rooms you use the least. By selecting a room that is hardly in use means you can pile up some boxes and clear your feet of the clutter. Moving can become chaotic so organising it a logical manor will help.
5. Be picky with your packaging. Choose boxes specifically designed for removals and adhere to the weight limit. Make sure you clearly mark the boxes to help at the other side i.e. ‘Kitchen’.
6. Use old newspapers to fill gaps in the boxes to help avoid breakages and use bubble
wrap for anything that you are worried about getting a bump in transit.
7. Prepare a small box of essential items. To avoid trawling through different boxes on arrival make sure you keep some urgent supplies you need in an accessible place. This can be something as simple as tea and coffee to toilet roll.
8. Ask for help! For those with pets or children we would recommend asking someone to help take care of them for the day or even night to allow you the freedom to concentrate on the move.
9. If you are leaving behind appliances jot down some notes on anything the new owner/ tenant might need to know and ask that the same is done in your new property. This can help alleviate stress after a long day.
10. Plan your route. If you are following a removals company make sure you agree on the travel plan. If you are not from Brisbane you should consider that it is a city and you will encounter traffic during peak times.